Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Friday, September 09, 2005
What the poor should eat
There have been times in my adult life when I have truely been too poor to buy food without having other bills breathing down my neck and threatening me. Many of those times, I didn't know what to do and ended up eating very poorly, including getting a bag of mostly junk from the food shelf on occassion or subsisting on rice and ramen. This is one of those times. But this time, I have a new resource taught to me by a very thrifty friend. That resource is the dumpster (not exactly what most of you are thinking. If you want to know more, email me off this blog and we can discuss). The first things to go in one's diet when poor is fresh produce on most occassions. In my new world, that is nearly all I eat and for free.


So, this week, I will be dining on sweet potatoes (which I just finished baking with a bit of butter and brown sugar), cinnamon applesauce (made from golden delicious apples), plums, bananas, strawberries (well those must be eaten tomorrow or they will be far past ripe), broccoli, buttercrisp lettuce (with a little of the Annie's dressing left in my fridge) and potatos. I'm getting kind of creative in creating new things to eat from whatever I can get my hands on and the few things I have on-hand in my "pantry" cabinet. Now I'm looking for something to do with bananas (besides the obvious banana bread). My grocery bill for this week: less than $10. I bought a half gallon of milk and a box of breakfast cereal (I'm trying to get back into the habit of eating breakfast and having food on hand for that seems to be the first step in achieving that) and a few staple items. Oh yeah, and that weird brown stuff in the jars is applesauce.
posted by Jen @ 11:36 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER