Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Tuesday, August 30, 2005
Attack of the killer tomatos
As mentioned before, I had a plethora of tomatos which I needed to "use up" as they were in their prime. I found a couple recipies for amazing salsa which I didn't follow, but used as an outline to create two kinds of salsa.


On the left is peach salsa created from dumpster tomatos, dumpster peaches, cilantro, garlic, dumpster limes, shallots, jalepenos, salt, sugar and vinegar. On the right is black bean and corn salsa with a southwestern twist created from dumpster tomatos, shallots, garlic, cilantro, canned organic black beans, canned corn, dumpster limes, shili powder and jalepenos. The flavors are blending so I won't really know what it tastes like until tomorrow.


I have lunch for weeks (I'll have to freeze some of this) with this pasta sauce. I made it from dumpster tomatos, fresh basil, mushrooms, vidalia onion, garlic, salt, sugar, corn starch and bay leaves. It's simmering as I type.

Total cost for this whole slew of goodies, probably about $3. Now if I can just get the onion and garlic smell off my hands. A soothing soak in some scented bath salts might help and also be a good end to my day.
posted by Jen @ 10:42 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    looks good! :)

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmm. You're making me hungry. :)

    I get onion/garlic off my hands by rubbing them all over my faucet. Somehow the scent transfers to the metal & can then be washed off. I think lemon juice is supposed to remove the smell, too.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER