Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Friday, October 06, 2006
Alice in Appleland
Yesterday, Matt and I spent a few hours wandering in a lovely orchard near Jordan, MN. We did have a purpose: to pick a bag full of Haralson and Fireside apples each. But the sun was so warm and the trees so lovely and the weather just so perfect, we dallied a bit and just soaked it in. It was nice to be there on a weekday with most of the kiddies in school and the weekend festivities not yet begun (this particular orchard is huge and has what amounts to a carnival of orchard events each weekend).




We were treated to a scenic wagon ride through a richly colored maple grove on the way to our picking field. The wagon ride itself was quite bumpy and jarring, but the leaves were in their full splendor, distracting us. The air had that slightly crispy fall smell to it even with the sun shining warmly.



The U-pick grove is just a little plot where the trees have color-coded ribbons tied to them so you can pick the kind you like. Much of the good ripe fruit near the ground had already been picked. There were some very nice large ripe apples near the tops of trees which were accessible via metal ladders. I managed to score a couple huge juicy red haralsons and at least one gigantic fireside.





I wanted to fill my bag with only the best apples and steal more than a few kisses under the warm autumn sun. When our bags were full, the sun beginning to steal away towards the horizon, and our tummies rumbling, we headed for the "apple barn" to purchase our harvest along with some unpastuerized cider and local honey.



Before leaving, I insisted we share a little love with the animals in the 'rescue barn' (more or less a petting zoo of rescued barnyard creatures). The animals of course thought we had food and were very friendly.





I also insisted that we take a cheesy photo in the "family apple tree". Yes, I did doctor it up so we are in the same photo and it was funny to try to get it all just right.


Just before leaving, I pondered getting a pumpkin to make all my favorite pumpkin dishes, but decided I'd wait a couple weeks yet. Most of the ones at this orchard were much too large though they were a glorious shade of orange and were basking in the evening sunlight. I plan on carving a jack-o-jantern again this year and then eating him again. Last year's was delicious in my chicken, black bean and pumpkin chili.




Labels: ,

posted by Jen @ 9:05 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger ✙ patron saint of ulster ✙ said…

    i really like that goat one and the effect you put on it!

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Blogger Aussie said…

    Wow... I LOVE your pictures. Thanks for coming out and I'm glad that you had such a great time! Would you consider sending me copies of some of your orchard pics? They're gorgeous! (austinsponsel at gmail dotcom)
    -Austin Sponsel
    Owner, Minnesota Harvest

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER