Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Thursday, June 29, 2006
Stealthy New Ride
Meet my new car. For a couple days I've been kinda scared driving my "old" car as the tie-rods are not doing well and braking was a bit shady. I was prepared to be stranded at any moment. Enter God taking care of me (stage right).

No seriously. I don't believe in coincidences (for those who didn't know) and the buying of this car just all fell into place. I had been looking very unsuccessfully for 3 weeks. Test drove a hunk of junk and had nearly given up hope of finding something before being forced to commute 17 miles each way by bicycle.

I responded to a shortly worded ad for this car just out of curiosity. It was a "newer" Civic and in my price range (the guy was asking $950). He and I emailed and he told me more about his car and sent photos. It all seemed too good to be true (or the greatest bargain ever). Lined up a test drive for yesterday, and it was everything I'd hoped for. Dad came with and found the car mechanically okay (it's a little bit of a fixer upper, but totally worth working on). He also did the bartering for me. Final dollar amount - $750.

Wow. I had more than this earmarked for a car at this point and I was excited. Set up a time to meet the seller this afternoon in Eden Prairie to transfer the title, etc. Didn't have a ride, but wouldn't you know it, the bus system dropped me right next door (and I had a free bus ride coupon). Oh yeah, and a coworker came in early so I could ditch out for a few hours to get the car too.

To top it all off, the seller said today that he had only responded to me because at the bottom of my email was a link to my photography website, which he visited and knew I was a real person who was really interested in buying his car, not some scam or crazy person. So, out of the piles of emails he received, I was the one he responded to, I was the one who was dilligent about setting up a test drive, and ultimately I'm the one who now has what I think is the greatest car I've ever owned.

So if you see me with a huge smile on my face in the near future, it just might be due to my new wheels and the security of being able to get from point A to point B without a nagging voice in the back of my head wondering if the wheel will fold under the car, if I'll loose control of steering, if the water pump will blow and the timing belt eat the valve heads, if I'll be able to stop for something unexpected, or if I'll hit a big bump and suddenly have two halves of a car. Oh yeah, and cause I'm pretty sure God made it all happen without stress of money or time.

p.s. I'm in the process of coming up with a name for my new car. So far, the contenders are "the stealth bomber" or "darth vader". I'm leaning towards the latter.
posted by Jen @ 10:43 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER