Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Monday, January 30, 2006
Let them eat (carrot) cake!
On my way home from teaching Intermediate Photography at Roosevelt Community Ed, I stopped to get some supplies to make more homemade nut butter. I also got some amazing hummus (Sundried tomato and basil, my favorite) to eat with the mini pitas I got from the dumpster before I left for Cali.

And as I was passing the pre-made goodies case (which I tend to look at longingly and then walk away from cause it's either expensive entrees or sugary sweets) some tasty carrot cake caught my eye. I thought to myself, if any place is going to have sweets made without refined sugar, this would be it. The label read "Honey Carrot Cake" and the ingredients did not include any refined sugar! So happy. Made with honey and unbleached flour and all things that are holy and good that cake should have. So I got a piece. It was $1.75 (kinda indulgent), but I only ate a small portion of it today and I will try to make it last 3 days. Oh honey, the nectar of the gods, you are the very saving grace of my sweet tooth and my tastebuds. I've also looked up a few recipies for making something very similar which I may attempt next week.

Oh yeah, and this particular batch of nut butter is half peanuts, half cashews with a handfull of sunflower seeds thrown in. Creamy and slightly sweet. I didn't measure this time, just eyeballed it, so it made just over a pint. And I have enough nuts in the fridge for another batch after I will undoubtedly eat this one up quick-like. I've been taking peanut butter, bread and bananas to work the last month for lunches and it suits me well. Though tomorrow I may take leftover Chinese take-out from Sunday's "after the Porch" food fest.

One thing I really want to learn to make this winter is sushi, particularily California Roll. Most recently it's the food I lust after most. Too bad that even getting it from Sushi Express (or the same stuff at the Co-op) it's like $5 for a meal's worth (and I could always eat more than that). Can't be too hard right? Anyone ever tried making sushi?
posted by Jen @ 11:22 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER