Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Thursday, March 23, 2006
psuedo ode to spring
Just when I thought spring had gone back into hybernation, we get a day like in these photographs. Beautiful with the sun shining down and the window rolled down to smell the freshness in the air. I sat in my car and listened to some music while waiting for the rest of the staff at work a few days ago and just soaked in the springtime.

Those days were shortlived however. The last couple have been dreary and damp. Reminding me much more of October than March. The only giveaway that spring will come (other than the date on the calendar) is a distinct smell of thawing, of growing. That spring odor which you swear is dirt, then you swear it's the air, then you're not quite sure, but you know it's the sign of green things to come.

Oh, it smelled like that today, richly. Seeping in under the crack in the door, blowing in through the vents in the car, taunting the flurries as they fell. If the sun had been out, it almost surely would have felt as it smelled.

Spring cleaning is what I'm thinking, though I just moved in. Still haven't quite finished finding homes for everything and just functioning in my half put away world. Thinking of spring cleaning to get out some more of the junk and make homes for things I actually use.

I'm anxious for days to lengthen and warm so we can remove the plastic from the windows letting in the breeze. (The plastic is my friend for now as it keeps the temperature and the heating bill bearable). I'm already dreaming of cool summer evenings on the porch with the citronella candles burning and a cup of tea and some friends. Perhaps a fire in the fireplace as well.

I'm itching for the days of riding my bike all over the place without freezing digits and of holding a yard sale to rid ourselves of needless crap which is filling up precious basement storage. Oh spring, do not be long off and lead your cousin summer to my doorstep with haste. I am lonesome for you both.
posted by Jen @ 11:20 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jenny,
    You are as lovely a writer as you are a photographer!

    Just reading that made me excited for spring!

    Colleen Welch

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen! I can't wait 4 spring either.

    Peace & Love, Erik =/

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER