Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Monday, March 27, 2006
Le tradicion alla the Easter Dress
Each and every year of my life that I can remember, my very generous and practical grandma has sent my sister and I each a check to purchase an "Easter outfit". When I was a kid, this usually entailled some sort of short sleeve, ruffled number in a variety of pastel flower prints which was much too cold for the time of year in which Easter falls in Minnesota. And to top off my "outfit", some variety of fancy hat adorned with a ribbon matching my dress. Sometimes there was enough money to purchase new tights, sometimes we just got them anyways cause we'd ripped through all the old ones. Every now and then, we were also in the market for new white dress shoes, having outgrown the ones purchase some previous Easter and worn for several years.

A small envelope arrive this past week in the mail postmarked from said grandma. Inside, a card adorned with an Easter lily and a check for a larger sum than I remembered from years past (not exorbitant, but bigger). Having bought very few clothing items in the last year, I was pondering where I might find an Easter "outfit" which would fit my personal tastes (as they have changed much and I have rid myself of most of my dresses due to this). I was, however, in the market for a new dress or skirt.

So, first to Savers. Highly disappointing. I found one dress (a Gunney Sacks vintage piece from the 70s) but was saddened to find it much too small. Stop number 2: Unique Thrift. Now, this being one of the finer thrift opperations in the Cities I have only bought a few items of clothing there, for they lack a dressing room. Generally, I err on the side of things being a bit too large and make alterations from there. (My christmas dress came from there and was perfect for $5). Sadly, this trip yielded no options in the Easter outfit for me. While I was there, I did stumble into the baby girl section (as I often do with a little Amelie to render spoiled). As I looked at the cuteness, I found the absolutely most perfect Easter outfit for any 7month old beauty's first Easter, and a pair of shoes to match. I bought it.

Stop number 3 was today on my day off. Ragstock. One of my favorite places to find vintage pieces as well as new stuff in styles I really like and usually at killer prices. Tried on a bunch of stuff without a whole lot of luck. But I did get one skirt, a different color palatte flowing patchwork skirt much like my current favorite skirt which I already have a tank and sweater to match, and probably even shoes. And a pair of mukluks. You see, it's cold in my house and the floors are wooden. I would turn up the heat, but every degree it goes up is dollars out of my pocket, lots of dollars. I have wanted mukluks for some time, even asked for them at Christmas time. And they were $8.99. My feet are now toasty warm. And had it been dry outside, I might have even worn them taking out the recycling ( I did wear them to get the mail, but that doesn't count cause I can still technically be standing inside when I do that).
posted by Jen @ 10:33 PM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER