Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Adventures on a Tuesday
I did some exploring in St. Paul today (and a bit in Minneapolis). First, to Minnehaha Falls where things are glorious and icy (I will post separately about this). I've always wanted to know what was east on Hwy 55, so instead of heading home on Hwy 5 into St. Paul, I crossed one of the long bridges to Mendota Heights. Choosing at random which way to turn, I found myself in the Lilydale/West St. Paul area. I had wanted to seek out a particular coffee shop I read about the other day called Old Man River Cafe though had not intended on traveling there on this particular day. Thus the directions were at home on the computer and I would have to rely on chance. Just as I thought I would give up and cross the high bridge back towards Upper town St. Paul, I saw it: Old Man River. This establishment is partial solar-powered and serves a delicious fair trade, shade grown, organic coffee (I opted for the dark roast). And on a day that I had money to spend, I might wander across the street to the West St. Paul Antique dealer.

After taking some photos from the top of the high bridge, I headed through downtown to get a good vantage point from Mounds Park. It was chilly up there as the wind was whipping across the river valley and there was little to keep it from blasting the bluffs on that side. So I made it quick with the photos to keep my ears and fingers from freezing off. Heading home through the back streets, I found that one of my local thrift shops had closed. The St. Vincent de Paul's on Rice St. is no more. They always had dirt cheap stuff. Not always a great selection and I wouldn't have touched furniture from there with a 10ft pole, but great household goods.

Last stop before heading home: The International Market. It used to be a seasonal market (called the Urban Market) on the corner of Dale and University. I was kinda sad when they tore it down and began building something else (not sure what, but it's taking more than 2 years to complete). Now it's a year-round indoor, (with outdoor stalls for summer) mostly Hmong-immigrant version of a Mexican market. Totally great! I wandered around just taking a peek. There is a women's clothing shop in the building with the restaurants I will have to go back to as they have the most wonderful skirts. In one building there is an indoor produce market. Much of the produce is from California this time of year (as I would have guessed, and was confirmed by one Hmong vendor in his Fargo-esque earflap fur hat). But there were eggs from the chickens of some of the vendors (which I may be back for as they are $3.50 for 30 eggs and the chickens run wild and eat grass) and there are the largest Asian Pears I've ever seen (twice the size of my fist) that are 3 for $5. I got a bunch of bananas (probably about 2.5 pounds worth) for $1.

I ventured down to the very back corner to check out the restaurant menus, it's kinda like fast food, Hmong style (or a little like the food booths at the state fair food building). I was just sorta checking it out, not intending to spend any money and to make dinner at home. At the last booth in the corner, an older Hmong woman wanted to help me. I told her I was just looking, but that everything looked wonderful.
She stood there for a second, then insisted I try an egg roll, then pulled out the spicy dipping sauce and insisted I dip it in there to make it even better. It was so so good. And she had these stuffed wings (sign read "Stuffwings 2 for $3.00") that looked delectable. I thought I should buy a little something from her since she's such a cute woman and I think her business must be kinda slow. So I asked for one stuffed wing. I also told her I thought the egg roll was very delicious. She charged me just $1. And before I left, she gave me a small hunk of something crunchy to try. That crunchy brown square (shown in the photo) turned out to be a dried piece of salted pork, also very tasty.

I ate the stuffed wing for dinner when I got home, wishing now that I'd gotten two. They are like nothing I've ever had. A chicken wing, with the upper bones pulled out and replaced with cellophane noodles and a magic Hmong spice combo. Not sure if they are fried or baked after that, but oh, then melt in your mouth. You hold the lower bony part of the wing as a stick to eat it off of. They should sell those at the State Fair. They could charge $3 or more a piece and make a killing. I need to find a way to save the spicy dipping sauce. She gave me a small container, but it's the most potent stuff I've had since I was in Mexico 10 years ago. And so so very good. I have found a hidden treasure at the International Market. I'll be going back there when I get a jones for Asian food. And if you're nice, I just might tell you where to get your own little portion of heaven.
posted by Jen @ 5:28 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER