Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Tuesday, July 18, 2006
Kohlrabi? Anyone?
It's the weirdest looking vegetable I have rescued from the trash yet. Kohlrabi. Apparently it's part of the cabbage family and tastes slightly like a mild turnip. Only issue is, I'm scared of all the recipes I've found to cook it so far except for Kohlrabi Gratin (which can't be very healthy since it's got cream and cheese as main ingredients). Anyone know what to do with this crazy thing?

Slightly related topic: note to self - Monday is a poor night for dumpster diving. Many places get their trash removed that day and the pickings are slim. I did get a couple juices, a bunch of peaches and apples, couple pears, one nectarine, and the Kohlrabi. It will also help when the weather cools again so things aren't spoiling so much before I get to them.
posted by Jen @ 1:09 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love it raw.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger ✙ patron saint of ulster ✙ said…

    kohlrabi is the shit. dan grows it up on la finca, the organic farm. he's improvised some GREAT recipes for it! you should ask him about them.

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Kira said…

    I love it raw too -- peel, slice, and dip it in hummus or other dip.

     
  • At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the picture from this sunday of Amelie with her green leafy hair tied up with a ...... hey wait a minute, that's not Amelie that's kohlrabi ! He he he he he he he : )

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER