Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Cornerstone: Wednesday
Wednesday morning arrived all too soon with a trucker wanting to attatch his trailer which we were parked in front of. Since we were awake, it was time to head to the festival (and since there would be light to set up our tent by). I didn't really know what time it was, but it certainly had to be early.
Turns out 6am in the middle of nowhere in July is beautiful. It isn't however the best time to try to meet up with friends who have already been camping out for 2 days. Took us a short while to find Amanda via cell phone as she straggled out of her tent in her pjs.

After setting up the tent, inflating air mattresses and generally unpacking the car, it was time to finish our night's sleep. We were awakened to the racket of a soundcheck in the Wycliffe tent next door some time later, closer to lunch than breakfast. After some nourishment, I spent my first waking hours getting camp set-up and getting aquainted with the grounds by wandering.

I was also taking in the myriad of peoples and the vast numbers of mohawks and dreadlocks I saw. There were hippies and crusties and punks and goths and jocks and everything in between. I even saw a few super heros mixed into the crowd (I caught Spiderman on film at the New Band Showcase - see the photo album).

I found myself at the Underground tent (which became the format for new bands before dinner time) where a lively entertaining group with a unique sound was rocking out. Family Force 5 was their name and they were a little bit 80s glam rock, but in a good way, if that's possible. They also had a designated dancer who reminded me of Erik with his big curly fro (which turned out not to be blonde later in the daylight, but more of a dreamsicle orange).

Since virutally all the non-band events started on Thursday, time was spent just getting aquainted with those in the Source Ministries camp. They are an amazing crew who were kind enough to extend a plot of earth to us and I quickly adopted them as my friends. Though I was cooking separate food for Scott and I, dinners were prepared communally. I felt instant community with these seeming strangers (except for Amanda and Lindsey who I had somewhat known before). We were fast becoming a family.

The after-dinner entertainment was a show by Madison Greene by recommendation of others in the group. The tent was packed before our arrival. All these people had heard and enjoyed this wonderful band and I had only learned of them moments prior. I wondered how it was I had been away from Christian music so long that it had changed into a different creature. How bands like this had completely escaped my radar.

I'll listen to Madison Greene more on cd someday as I liked what I heard, but my body was beginning to decompress from my usual life stresses and a migrane was coming on. I could not completely enjoy the show. Scott and I made a short trip to a nearby town to get a few things we had either overlooked (such as hand sanitizer) or just plain forgotten. A little fresh produce too. I didn't get to enjoy any more of my evening as my migrane worsened and I was forced to retreat to a world of concentrated breathing exercises.

In the end, the migrane won. I lost my lunch and dinner, had tunnel vision, put in some earplugs, took some pain killers and retired to my tent hoping and praying for sleep. God granted it to me quickly.

Photos from Wednesday are in Day 2 of my Cornerstone photo album.
posted by Jen @ 1:47 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger Kira said…

    I love love love Madison Greene -- I discovered them at Cornerstone appx. 6 years ago!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER