Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Cornerstone: The Journey down
We left on July the 4th. I had to work until 4pm and rushed home to finish packing and eat some food. The packing happened, the food not so much. Scott came by at 5ish and we left by 6pm hoping I hadn't forgotten something important in my rush. It took us some time to get out of the cities as we had to stop for some food and hit an ATM for some cash and then we were on the open road.
Heading south out of Minnesota, the prairie opened up before us with lush green farms. Fields of corn and soybeans as far as the eye could see. Though we were in no hurry, we made good time taking the freeway. Just over the border into Iowa the sun was lending it's warmth as it set creating a beautiful landscape.

Then I saw them, one of my life's fascinations: the windmills. Many times in my life have I driven down that stretch of I-35 past those magnificent metal creatures. Often with the sun setting behind them just as it was doing then. Each time, there had been little time to waste and a quick photograph of those windmills from a distance was all I could hope for. This time was different.

Veering off course, we took a 2-3 mile jaunt to the place where those giants stand. And as though the country road wasn't a close enough view, Scott found a farmer's service road into the cornfield and drove us right to the base of one of the windmills. Surrounded by corn stalks, sun setting in the distance and only the whirring of the windmills and I was in heaven. I photographed to my hearts delight, capturing the enormity of those towering blades with their whisper soft whirring heartbeats.

Between the windmills and darkness was only a short stretch of time. Those twilight hours were amazing to catch on film. Upon reaching the vicinity of Waterloo, the darkness of night gave the backdrop to firework festivities in the distance. Leaving the freeway, we meandered the unfamiliar streets to find ourselves in a residential Waterloo neighborhood, sitting on someone's lawn as explosions lit up the sky. Only once before in my life have I been closer to the blast-off point for fireworks on the 4th. I have a great affinity for fireworks and it was glorious, though somewhat short as we had only seen portions of the beginning while following them like the magi.

The rest of the night's drive was mostly uneventful save the Iowa state trooper pulling us over for having a portion of a tail-light out and telling us to drive carefully after taking a long hard look at us two scraggly folks. We just kept driving, meaning to pull off the road at some point and sleep and continue in the morning. At some wee hour of the morning we reached Bushnell, Il and found ourselves at the left turn to get to Cornerstone Rd. Scott parked the car next to a semi trailer and it was time for sleep. After rearranging the car to put the seats back, I was out like a light.

See Day 1 in my Cornerstone Album for more photographs of this adventure. (login info in Overview post).
posted by Jen @ 1:47 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER