Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Friday, January 11, 2008
You smell like soup


Feeling a bit under the weather today I stayed home and rested. While I was resting, my from scratch chicken noodle soup was doing it's thing on the stove for 10 hours. Yes, 10 hours. That's how long it takes to make chicken noodle soup really from scratch starting with making the stock.

It began with a gallon of water and 4 chicken thighs in a huge stock pot simmering away for hours and hours and hours with some celery, garlic, carrots and bacon. When the meat had fallen off the bone, most of the veggies had disintegrated, and the bones were soft, I strained the stock and began making the soup.

I put the chicken back in the stock, added chopped celery, onion and carrot along with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. When the veggies were nearly the perfect doneness (almost not crunchy), I added a box of noodles and brought the whole thing to a boil for about 10 min. That's about it. It had been simmering most of the day so it took my bowl of soup about 10 min to cool down before I could eat it and then I still had to blow in each spoonful.

I also made another loaf of egg bread to eat with the soup since the last loaf is down to it's last couple slices.

Labels: ,

posted by Jen @ 11:28 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yum. Shelley calls the stock portion of your recipe "bone broth" and believes it to be incredibly healthy. She'd even say you can simmer it for longer... 24 hours even. I've done it quite a few times and it really is amazing. Plus, it's fun to have the house smelling good for such a long time. I may have to try some of your other ingredients, like the bacon!
    Laura Smith

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger bethany said…

    i also love making chicken noodle from scratch. soooo good!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER