Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Saturday, April 15, 2006
You're caller number 9!
That's not exactly what I heard on the other end of the phone, not even close really. Instead DJ "Ryan at Night" played me a bit to get a good sound bite. I won something! For the first time since I was 9 years old and calling in to radio stations to try to win tickets and cds and other cool stuff when the contest moment played out, I won something! It's the first thing of value I can remember winning. Oh yeah, what is it? Tickets to the KS95, invitation only, Goo Goo Dolls concert.

I really called cause my roommate wanted to go and we'd been listening for the signal to call in to win. Yes, I like Goo Goo Dolls, but I haven't been listening to the radio much lately and didn't know there was a contest going on. So, we were about to go clean the basement storage area, and they said they'd be running the contest in a bit. We decided to wait, all three of us, poised to dial. When it played, we dialed, repeatedly, with busy signals on the other end. And suddenly, it rang. No kidding. it rang. It only rang one other time in 19 years of trying and that was to tell me I was too soon in the line-up of callers to win (likely I would have been too young being 9 years old). I just kept holding on to the ringing phone, telling them it was ringing. And the DJ answered (me thinking it was likely an intern sent to answer the endlessly ringing phone). He played with me a bit to make me think I was the wrong number caller (and I'm a little guillible, but not quite that much). And then I had actually won! Me! I won something! Something of value! No freakin' way! 2 tickets to an invitation only concert at a very small local venue to see a very cool band I've liked since college days up close and personal.

I don't win things, so no way! Very much in shock. The DJ asked "do I need to summon an ambulance" and of course I said I was okay, just very shocked cause I've never won anything. I may need to email them to see if I can't get an MP3 of the whole clip as it played out on the radio (though it was an edited version). Life is amazing. And sometimes you can hardly believe it's real (several moments I've had like that). But I am pretty sure it is. Not that concert tix are the greatest thing ever, but seriously, who ever thinks they'll actually call in and win. You call, you get a busy signal and then 2 songs later they announce a winner. You don't actually believe it will be you. Until it is......
posted by Jen @ 12:10 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Empty Voice said…

    congrats!! how cool! I ahd a friend who won tickets to see Pink Floyd back in 97 and he invited me, but because of a prctical joke I ahd played on him once for which he vowed revenge, I didn't believe him until I called the radio station and verified it. I actually damaged our relationship as friends for awhile because of my distrust. Anyway, I digress.... it's IS the coolest thing ever to win something off the radio like that. Have much fun with the goo goos!

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    that's so cool Jenie! I never win anything. Could be because I never try. . . hmmm. Anyway, you give me hope!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER