Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Thursday, July 14, 2005
Why isn't college free?
Lately I've been wishing I could go back and not go, or at least go some place less expensive than I did. My loan payments are taking up all the money others my age are spending on cars, bikes, digital cameras, vacations, houses, eating out with friends, etc. Sure, rent is only 1/3 of your income. Then you have insurance (of all varieties), phone bill, internet access (mine's relatively cheap though since I refuse to bow to DSL), gas for your car, groceries (dumpstering sure does help fit this into my budget), and any sort of "necessities" that might need repletishment. I also have a little something called credit card which was a terrible indiscretion while in college, but I'm in a repayment program and making huge bounds to be free of them. After all that, there is usually just enough left to pay for the loans if I'm lucky. No money left for fun, saving, or emergencies. One loan guy (when I called to make arrangements cause I couldn't pay them on time) was brash enough to say (and I quote) "Then get another job" (I was already working 2 - one full time, one part time). Luckily not all my loan companies have that attitude.

The heat and humidity won't quit, so I'm escaping (even if it's only for one day). The Green Man Festival is this weekend and I've wanted to attend for some time and decided the other day I would just go. So far, no one's going with me, I'm just going. There will be music and independant film and mountain bike races to watch and cool "green" vendors and art and organic food and camping (though I think I will sleep in my car as I don't have a tent or $10 to pay for a camping permit - and will be all by my lonesome). I'd go the whole weekend, but work demands I be here Saturday afternoon.

There are Letterboxes in Duluth :) I'm devising a plan to hit a few before the Festival grounds open. Chris, be jealous :) (if you read this, though I'll be showing off my stamps on Sunday). I've been slacking on the whole letterboxing thing. Just too hot for me to move and drive around without AC in the car and I don't like mosquitos (which I hear there are a lot of this year) and and and....excuses excuses excuses. I'll get right on that.

My summer heat guilty pleasure is ice cream. Good, full fat, rich and creamy (and recently peanut butter/chocolate fudge swirl) ice cream. I've been eating about as much as I can stand. It's good to get my dairy (as lately I've not had a connection for raw milk that is working out), but I'm thinking I should switch to yogurt to go easy on the sugar. I've noticed that a bit of the winter weight I've lost came back. I'm sure sitting around trying not to sweat too much hasn't helped either.

Well this has been a rambling collection of thoughts for the day. Thanks to a friend who shared his air conditioned house and the opportunity to use free laundry machines last night. I needed both badly. Time to whip up a batch of my world famous ice water.
posted by Jen @ 11:53 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER