Days in the Life of This Girl

 
Thursday, October 27, 2005
Housing issues (ie rant ahead)
I'm having issues trying to move out of here. I had some leads, but the condition of the front stairwell and the hallway (destroyed this summer by the neighbor's kids and their friends) really kinda turns people off. Not to mention the litter in the yard, the smell of cigarettes in the hallway permeating from one of the units on my floor which seeps into my apartment and can be smelled with the door shut. Oh yeah, and the big garbage bag leak stain on the carpet in the hallway from the same people. Seriously how is it they get to continue living here?

So I spent some time today on the phone with the Attorney General's office which gives legal advice to renters in St. Paul. They suggest I put it all in writing. And that's just what I did. One letter outlining my complaints about the neighbors and the condition of the hallway and asking that it be restored within 14 days (apparently the common knowledge timeframe to give when writing this kind of letter). Also one letter to the office asking that they step up their efforts to find me a replacement (which so far have consisted of writing my info on the board with dry erase marker and sitting back to wait for the phone to ring - I mean I've done way more work than that already with very little sucess, so I don't expect good magic will just happen and I certainly don't think writing with a marker and doing your job to answer the phone garners a $200 fee). So, they have my complaints coming to them in the mail, 14 days to do something about it, and a request for documents in writing outlining what they are doing about all this.

If anyone is knowledgable in the way of renter law, I sure could use your help. I have a feeling this is going to get kinda long and drawn out and I may need some legal council.
posted by Jen @ 8:46 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Seeking to find beauty in the simple and joy in the everyday.
About Me

Name: Jen
Home: Minneapolis, Mn, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Some Stuff I Like
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER